Monday, November 23, 2009

As long as I can see my toes, I’m still good, right?!

„Don’t worry about your weight, you’ll get fat anyway!” That was the very first secret former exchange students revealed about college life in America. And ever since I arrived in Memphis, people seemed to be more concerned about what I eat than what I study.
Well then, here comes the information to satisfy your hunger. I arrived in the land of supersize me, ruled by Burgers, Pizzas, Sandwiches and Microwaves. What is the point of cooking when each of the 82 American fast-food chains has a drive thru that throws your Double-Fatty-Greasy- Burger with Coke and fries directly through your open window while passing the restaurant? And come on: it comes with meat, lettuce, vegetables, bread and potatoes (that’s what fries are made of, isn’t it?), is there any way to eat healthier than that?





Well… yes…. There is. Americans keep asking me (totally astonished) about German food. I guess there is no rule about German Food in general. Although we are known for sauerkraut, knödel, hog roast and Bavarian sausages - this is not all there is to eat back home. As far as I am concerned, every family I know tries to eat as healthy as possible. That manly includes fresh vegetables and fruits, meat, rice, noodles and potatoes in all kinds of variations. But here is the secret about it, and please don’t tell it anyone else: we- cook- every- single- day! And by cooking I’m not talking about taking a “hungry man” out of the fridge and putting it into the microwave. Using a pan and a pot to actually fix something to eat is a more than surprisingly behavior to most of the Americans I met.
Most of the German exchange students on the other side try to eat the same things here, as they’d eat at home. But living healthy in America is really really expensive. I spent most of my dollars on vegetables and fruits. But against all German prejudices: Americans do have fresh vegetables to buy in their grocery stores! Here is the photographic proof: 





Now that I am trying to eat as healthy as possible, I think my roommates are actually enjoying the food we cook. And eating together with them is really a lot of fun! But there is one thing that I really miss over here: German bread. Not toast. Bread! 

5 comments:

  1. God save the German bread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss German bread too... but at the moment I'm too poor to buy anything better than Wonder bread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking of drive-thrus, don't forget to mention that you don't even have to leave your car to withdraw money from an ATM ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is funny. :) In my experience people here don't cook any more than people in the US do, but it could just have to do with the particular people I associate with in both countries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bread in Europe is SO much better! I don't know why. Well, fascinating blog, I am an American in Finland and it is so interesting to see your point of view.

    ReplyDelete