Monday, December 7, 2009

How are you today?

Edward is mad at me. I haven’t seen him in a loooong time, it seems like he doesn’t want to talk to me at all. Whenever I meet him on the streets he jumps away from me in huge, hectic steps. I think someone told him about my latest blog entries. Well, yes…. I have to admit that I was quite mean in terms of American food. And I don’t want to leave a bad impression of Americans. Therefore it is time to point out the really great things about American culture. (No, I won’t be mentioning the free refills in most restaurants because I’m finally not talking about food! ;-) )
 I perceived Americans as the most friendly and helpful people I have ever met in my life. It all starts with the genial “Hey, how are you?” whenever you enter a room, like a store, a restaurant or a classroom. At first I was a little bit confused, are they really interested in how I feel? And if so, what am I supposed to answer? “Thank you, I have constant stomach cramps since I had that egg sandwich for breakfast”  ???  So I decided, that a simple “Thanks, I’m good, and how are you?” might do it as well. It is always “nice to meet someone” and you always wish everyone a “good day” when you leave. That’s such a nice habit! Some Germans might think, that this is a superficial behavior, but I enjoy the fact that you treat everyone friendly and with respect
Most Americans I met try to help you whenever they can. They offer you to drive you to Wal Mart when you need something, even if it is more than a 30-minute ride away. They help you with homework, take you grocery shopping or to the pharmacy. Besides, my friends’ families are always happy to have someone around, they invite you for lunch, or to spend the whole weekend with them. There are at least three families that suggested celebrating my birthday at their house. Let’s see, where I end up partying at…. ?

5 comments:

  1. ...especially nice roommates take you to the pharmacy ;-) Great blog girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. alright sounds great, i love ur blog, ur linked :*
    xo anny

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I perceived Americans as the most friendly and helpful people I have ever met in my life."

    I bet you haven't been to Australia yet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. something for your blogroll:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AlexandJim

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never heard any different statement of an exchange student. People seem to be "the most friendly and helfpful people" everywhrere excluding their own country.
    Isn't that weird?
    Maybe it's not people but you?

    ReplyDelete